Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Oh The Sights You Will See.



I've been out of school for juat a little over a week now. I traveled to Beijing last Friday to get my visa for India. I just love traveling. I love taking the train. Maybe because it's so different than any way I traveled growing up. I took the overnight train to get there, but was able to take the new "bullet" train to come home. The overnight train takes about 10 hours to get there. The bullet train only takes six. I think by the time the Olympics come they're hoping to have that down to about 2 or 3 hours.


I've been able to spend some good time at the beach after my Chinese class. It's so fun to live right next to the ocean. Almost everytime I've been to the beach I observe some very interesting sights. Once I saw a white man with about 7 Chinese women with him. He was explaining Hidden Valley Ranch Chip dip to them and how in america we eat chips and dip. I new what he was saying because he was obviously talking loud enough so we would 'overhear' him.

Another time I say a man walking around in his long johns. The fact that a man is walking around in his long johns was a bit awkward, but that he was doing it at the beach didn't really make much sense. Seeing as how the beach tends to be a sunny warm place, and this man was dressed for winter.

Yesterday I saw the usual. Every man in a speedo, women fully clothed, and children running around in the buff. Now I understand if you are changin your child who is maybe 2 or 3, you might just change them quickly on the beach. However, it is quite uncommon, at least from my own personal experiences at the beach, to see a child anywhere from the age of 2 to 7 running around completely naked playing in the sand. I've also heard that it's not only the children who do this, but I have yet to see anyone else and I hope it stays that way.

My Chinese class is going well. My teacher is moving me through pretty quickly. It's a lot to cover everyday, but I really enjoy it. I've started learning some characters now and even started to practice writing a few. I really wish I would have taken Chinese while I was at JBC. I'm sure it would have been so beneficial. Oh well.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

hahaha, the beach scene sounds pretty funny. have we talked about how the girls are doing their claymation and picture projects now and it makes me feel really weird to think that you were just doing that last summer? it seems like forever ago but i remember laughing at you and jess, as usual. oh how i love thee. seeee ya keeeerah.